Sep 2, 2008

Using Cemetery Records

Why should I use cemetery records? What can they teach me that I don't already know?


The Cemetery is an often overlooked wealth of Family information. Click on the following link to view my lesson on just what and how you can find this "hidden" information:


Using Cemetery Records


Instructions for Lesson Viewing:
Do not use the arrows at the bottom of the screen. When the window opens, wait a few seconds, then click on the page/screen in the box with your mouse to advance the lesson. The arrows at the bottom advance to the next slide, but if you use this you will miss all of the movements that occur on each slide.

Related Links:

Tiptoeing Through the Graveyard by Kimberly Powell

findagrave.com for free cemetery lookups and photo requests

US Newspaper Project for links to newspapers online in the United States

USGenWeb for links to free records posted by state, they often have cemetery records available

WorldGenWeb for links to information and records posted from countries of the world, sometimes have cemetery information

Here is an example of a Sexton's Record:
Sexton RecordSexton: "the person paid to care for a church and/or cemetery, to toll the church bell, dig graves, etc." from A to Zax
Sextons' Records are often kept at the office or church in charge of a particular cemetery. You can see from this document that there is a wealth of information here that is often not included on a headstone. These particular records collected: name, place and date of birth, parents names, religion and reputation as well as the date of death. It never hurts to ask the cemetery office if they have more information on your buried ancestors. Even if they only have the name of the mortuary, you can then go to them and ask for records there. Mortuaries very rarely go out of business but they are sometimes absorbed by a nearby mortuary. They would usually have a form for a family member to fill out during this process that you can gather more information from.

Tombstone Rubbing:
tombstone rubbingsHere are a few tombstone rubbings done on Pellon with a crayon. I love doing rubbings as it is a way for me to take home a part of history. It is the next best thing to being at the actual cemetery. I have a part of something that was there and shows the headstone in actual size. I have tried using other materials to do rubbings but I prefer the pellon and crayon. It is less messy and easy to transport and save without fear of damage. Rubbings are also very helpful when the tombstone inscription is faded and worn. A rubbing can bring the text back into plain view and give that important date or relationship you were seeking. Then there are those times when the sun and the headstone or your flash and the stone line up just right to make the inscription not show up on film. You don't always know this until you get home and it is nice to have the rubbing so you can still have record of what is written. Make sure you learn the rules of the cemetery you plan to do rubbings at as some do not allow it.

What I Bring to the Cemetery:
- camera
- extra batteries
- pen and pad of paper
- pellon (found at local fabric store)
- crayons
- roll of butcher paper (found at local craft store)
- scissors
- water bottle or two
- rag
- map of cemetery with plot locations of ancestors

I bring a roll of butcher paper as it is less expensive and I can use one long sheet for the larger tombstones. The water and rag are to clean off the stones which are often not photo ready. The pen and paper are to make notes as I go along. Sometimes thoughts will come while I am there that I want to remember. I may want to write down locations of graves I took photos of that I did not plan on beforehand. I may have questions about relationships revealed that I want to remember to look up later. I may come up with more questions to ask at the local office while I am there. It comes in handy sometimes. The scissors are to cut the pellon and paper to the size I want. I have found that the darker crayons work the best, but you can experiment with different colors. I never use tape to hold the material still for a rubbing. I use another set of hands or brace it myself. I don't like to disturb the stones any more than needed.
For more details and other tips/suggestions on doing Tombstone rubbings,
read How to do a Tombstone Rubbing by Kimberly Powell

If you have any comments, tips, suggestions or links to add, just leave a comment.

1 comment:

Great Grandma Lin said...

great information. here's a link to add http://history.utah.gov/apps/burials/execute/searchburials it's by the utah history research center and is very complete for utah.