Oct 18, 2008

1940 Family Reunion

I have been collecting news articles on my family in the Utah Digital Newspapers database for quite a while now. In my searching I found that my Lindeman family would travel from Salt Lake to Richfield, Utah almost every year and turn up in the society pages of the Richfield Reaper in town visiting with Mr. and Mrs. Rowley. This trip is about 165 miles and takes almost 3 hours to drive with today's roads and speeds. map it Mrs. Rowley and Mrs. Lindeman are both Thorups and they would often celebrate Mrs. Rowley's birthday with her.
Mrs. Rowley is Nephine Merabele Thorup - born 14 June 1890, married William Andrew Rowley
Mrs. Lindeman is Lizzie Henrietta Thorup - born 16 March 1894, married Russell Olonzo Lindeman
Both are daughters of Herman F. F. and Jensine Jensen.

Richfield Reaper June 20th 1940 Social News
Richfield Reaper June 20 1940 I collected a few articles of their visits such as this one, but never had so many names been given. This must have been a big celebration for Nephine, her 50th birthday party. She had a much larger family gathering than usual and even had some come from Canada. It was interesting to have such a collection of names at a family gathering given in the newspaper. This is one thing I love about the newspapers. You can often make family connections based on the comings and goings of all the neighbors and their get togethers. The society pages used to be quite a gossip column and even an opinion or two from the reporter slip in once in a while which are always hilarious to read.

I recently came across some Thorup Photographs posted online by Gael Lindstrom (thanks a million by the way!) and found this Photo of a family reunion labeled "Thorup Family Reunion at the Andrew Rowley Home in Richfield, Utah June 16, 1940."
There was a photograph taken of the family at the reunion I have an article about!...And I actually found it! It is exciting to have these two pieces of recorded history put back together for us to see 68 years later.

1940 Richfield Reunion
If you can identify someone in the photo
please contact me or leave a comment. Thanks!


These are the names we have labeled thus far:



From L to R
Back Row: ?15 , child held ?16 , ?17 , Bertha Lindstrom, Wm Lindstrom, ?18, space across to man's head ?19 , Alvin White, Albert Bruening, Russell Lindeman
Row 2 and between: Lizzie Lindeman, ?6 , woman's head ?7 , ?8 , womans' head ?9 , child held ?10 , ?11 , man's head above/behind ?12 , child held ?13 , Wm Rowley, woman's head ?14 , Nephine Rowley, child in front is Lois Lindeman, Zina White, Gertrude Bruening, LeRoy Lindeman
Front Row: ?1 , ?2, child kneeling ?3 , Child sitting in front ?4, ?5

14 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

how fun, would be neat for family members to have the names on the photo of the reunion. that's a great site the digital newspapers of utah especially for obituaries.

Mom Darlene said...

J- this is Great! Thanks so much for doing this. I think the names you have are the ones I know.

Emily Z said...

Hi, me again.

Not entirely sure some of those names are correct.

I THINK (and could be wrong), that the woman you have labelled as Gertrude is actually my great grandfather (Herman F)'s second wife, Rosalie (in the news clip, listed as "Mrs. Rosalie Anderson".

Herman F is the man you have labelled as "Albert".

We have this same picture....I will see if my mother can identify any more people for you.

Herman F put together a book for her with several photographs, all identified....

Emily Z said...

And I must correct myself - the woman labeled as Gertrude isn't Rosalie, but Rosella Davies Thorup.

I always get those names confused.

Anyway, I don't know why she's not listed in the news clip, but that's certainly her.

Emily Z said...

Hiya, me again.

Confirmed, it is Rosella Davies Thorup that you have identified as Gertrude, and Herman Frederick Thorup that you have identified as Albert.

The woman on the far left, next to Lizzie, is Gertrude. The man to her right is probably Albert - I only have a picture of him when he was older, but it looks like him. He has distinctive ears.

Anyway, hope that's a help!

We have tons of handwritten memoirs from H.F.F. Thorup, if you're interested. My mom's really excited with some of the stuff you have!

jerusharen said...

Thank you for your help. I will relabel those soon. I am excited about anything you can share.
Thanks.

Emily Z said...

Also, my mom and I determined that the woman on the far left is Gertrude Bruening, and the man to the right of HER (with the moustache) is Albert.

No idea on who the child in her arms is.

Emily Z said...

Ignore that last post - I forgot that I'd already told you that. heh.

Sam said...

Here is some more information about the photo in question with the majority of people identified:

Back row, left to right: Gertrude Breuning, Al Breuning, Bertha Lindstrom, William Lindstrom, Dorothy Holmgren. John Thorup and wife seated in front.

First row, left to right: Lizzie Lindstrom, Elsie Rowley, (Unknown), Arthur Holmgren with daughter Jean, Andrew Rowley, Nephine Rowley, Zina White, Rosella Thorup, Leroy Lindeman.

Thorup Family Reunion at the Andrew Rowley Home in Richfield, Utah. June 16, 1940.

Sam said...

Headtrip is correct, the woman labeled as Gertrude is in fact Rosella Thorup.

GCOLO said...

I just obtained Rosella Davies Thorup's obituary and its photo does look similar.

Pet Lover Zarek said...

Hi, Maurine here. Emily has it right.Herman F. (my grandfather) is the one labelled "Albert" and the woman you have labelled "Gertrude" is grandpa's second wife, Rosella Davies Thorup. The person you have labelled "Alvin" is actually Eliza Thorup Fikstad and I believe the man you have labelled "Russell" is Eliza's husband Axel Laures Fikstad Jr. Is the old couple Hyrum and Nettie Thorup? Can you send me your email address again so I can send you some pictures I have? This is fun. Maurine.

Sue Shuppy said...

Hi I'm Sue Shuppy a descendant of William Wilford Thorup who is in your photo; you can only see his head and glasses. His wife is Esther Elizabeth Nordberg Thorup and is one of the heads (left)above the seated couple.

jane said...

Coming upon your wonderful site has given me great information and excitment. I am a granddaughter to Lizzie Thorup "Thomas" Lindeman.
My Father Lowell Arthur Thomas is Lizzie's first born child, to William Arthur Thomas. "Art" died of the 1918 flu when Lowell was only 18 months or so old. Lois and Leroy are my aunt and uncle. Please contact me at jgramcracker@gmail.com